Monday, April 27, 2009

So many cute illustrated mice out there...

John S. Goodall is the illustrator of this wonderful little book -- he has published several books about Shrewbettina (who may be a shrew, not a mouse, but there ARE mousies in the book and on the dust jacket as well).

WONDERFUL delicate illustrations. And, to top it off, it's a book with no words. You just look at the pictures to get the story.

I originally entered this book in my database last September (for a book fair) -- put it on hold so I could offer it at the fair ... and because it was a last minute buy, didn't have any detailed description added to my database. Today, I pulled it off a shelf to put in the box for the next book fair & found out it was STILL on hold -- no wonder it didn't sell. I thought I was getting better about that sort of thing!

Here's another wonderful mouse book:



This is the second book I've featured by Palmer Brown (remember, he only wrote and illustrated four books in his career as an book illustrator). Palmer Brown's artwork is so delicate, so wonderfully deft and without excess color or lines that I could stare at it all day. In some ways, it reminds me of Tasha Tudor's illustrations. But Palmer Brown is NOT Tasha Tudor and one mouse book is not the same as another mouse book. Of course, the best way to find this out is to start collecting books illustrated with mice...

Enjoy.

No comments: