Friday, June 25, 2010

New Bike... first spill

Yeah, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

But, you know, being on a decently nice bike for the first time in (mumble, mumble, mumble) years I knew I was taking chances.

No, I was NOT riding my bike with no hands when it happened.

No, I won't produce icky photos (though I could because they don't bother me, but in deference to those of you out there with squeamish sensibilities).

It was my own danged fault too.  I was on the homestretch when I decided to go up onto the sidewalk and hit the curb edge at the entirely wrong angle.  Stupid, easily avoided mistake.

Got one knee badly scraped and banged. Got the inside of the other knee (well, don't know the technical term for it, but just under the knee to the right side of the lower leg) and hit my varicose veins head on so a nice thump there (for me, that's sort of the norm -- the varicose veins in my legs take a regular beating during soccer season).  No arm or hand damage, nor head... BUT I did ruin a pair of pants in the process which really bums me.  I might just repair the tear, stick some embroidered flowers on top and pretend it's supposed to look that way.

 So, in the end, I learned that when someone says don't worry, you'll remember how to do______________ (take your pick here ) it's like riding a bicycle....

 THEY'RE WRONG!

This is not, however, going to stop me from riding.  I just have to be MORE CAREFUL in future.

(And yes, I was wearing my helmet - my kids won't allow me outside without it on... well, when I'm riding my bike or the scooter at least).

No comments: