Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chop Suey anyone?



Every once in a while (hopefully more often as time continues), I find some funky ephemeral items.
Last week, I was in one of my usual haunts - not finding ANYTHING worth looking at, book wise, when I accidentally flipped open a 1960's cookbook.  Tucked inside was this little pamphlet.

Dated 1929, it's from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and is promoting Pork.
There's facts about Pork, followed by 13 recipes (including the infamous Chop Suey - which, unfortumately, was NOT the page I put in my camera).
It's got a bit of wear and has some tearing to the spine ends, but it's neat, all the same. 
And not too many copies around still.
As for the Chop Suey,  there's much debate about when it was invented, where it was invented and how it came about, but in the 1920's it was all the rage- as were things Chinese, etc.

Cool stuff.

No comments: