Monday, December 29, 2008

Ex Library copies... to be or not to be?

Normally, I'm not a fan of Ex library copies -- you see, I specialize in Modern Science Fiction / Fantasy First Editions, which have to be, for the most part, First Editions in fine condition with fine dust jackets (or something very close) to even be considered salable.

That's just the nature of the beast... if you want to collect or sell 1st edition SF / Fantasy, then them's the breaks.

2nd printings are ok....

less than Very Good+ condition is ....well, cringe-worthy and only for hard to find titles of distinction....

Ex Library copies are Verboten.

Except in the case of truly high powered titles / really rare / top ten on the list of modern authors (yes, I do have a copy of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein for sale in an ex library copy... but it's one of Heinlein's first Hugo award winning novels...and one of his better books).

So what about these Lloyd Alexander titles I picked up?

I have had them in boxes for a while, waiting for me to decide if I should list them on my website or not. Here's the thing.... This series was one of the first fantasy series I read & fell in love with. This is one of the series that made me a fan of fantasy / Scifi.

Plus, the books are First Editions.

This series is HARD to find in 1st edition with dust jacket.

Go look.

Sure, there's lots of junk listings online for copies, but if you actually do some footwork & try to break down what's what, you'll see that there are not more than 20 actual first editions listed for each of the titles (I'm summarizing here...)

A full set in nice (Fine/Fine) condition can set you back two grand.

I know that these copies are battered and used and loved, but I still can't decide if I should just let them go or put them online as reading copies. They are noticeably ex library in condition (the dust jackets are generally very nice though)...

but they're first editions...

but they're not perfect...

but they are a collectable title (and considered high on the list of youth fantasy series)...

but, but, but...




So what would you do?

I'm asking.

No comments: