Thursday, August 12, 2010

And we're back..... in school that is

Today marks the day when my honored husband gets to greet his flock of wildly happy students (yeah, not...).  He's the last of the bunch to get back to school - Son Number Two went first last week, then Son Number One started SEVENTH GRADE this Monday and today, the high school where Honored Husband works was back in full swing.

That, of course, means that quiet has started to set in at Bookseller Central.  Sort of.

Am I getting a huge amount of work done because it's back to normal schedule?

Well.... possibly, but not yet.

And, it might not ever happen since I added on extra responsibility for Cub Scouts this year, and for Soccer, and the housework never does seem to go away, no matter how hard I close my eyes and wish for it. By the time I get done reading my email, answering stuff, adding bits to the new group on Facebook for our scout pack (which I set up and seem to be administering), emailing scouts and committee members, job hunting online in my spare time, etc., etc., etc., about two hours seem to have flown by.  I'm going to try very hard to cut this down by at least half, but you all know how that goes.

But I am getting book stuff done now, which is much better than most of July.  August, well, part of August was productive (so far), but not all. 

And that's the way it's going. 

As for the after school schedule.... yeah, no work done any night of the work week, and most likely none during the weekend either.

We have two scout meetings on Monday (cub, for which I'm den leader) and Boy (usually lasts 2 hours -- ending at 8:30 or 9:00 PM)

Tues - soccer
Wed - soccer
Thurs- soccer
Fri   - soccer
Saturdays - Soccer games starting in Sept.
Sunday... is NOT a day off.


And that's my week.

As for fun book stuff lately.

Well, there's this interesting bound group of newsletters I recently got in stock that I haven't been able to do much about yet -- it's from the late 1930's early 1940's and is from a Bird watching / ornithological group in West Virginia.  The entries are quite intriguing and I'd love to load this item to my website as soon as possible, but until I get a bit more research done, it sits on the edge of my desk, staring at me and calling out to me.


But I CAN show you another cool one that I recently listed on the website:

Not much to look at from here is is...

Here's the title for you:
ANNUAL OF THE UNIVERSAL MEDICAL SCIENCES A YEARLY REPORT OF THE PROGRESS OF THE GENERAL SANITARY SCIENCES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD  VOLUME II

And the title page, just in case you're interested.


But then it gets a bit more, shall we say...visual

Like this.

There are a series of engravings and seven either one or two page chromo-lithographs such as the one you see above.  Most of the lithos deal with sexually transmitted diseases (why the editors would pick color pictures of this instead of say... surgery of the brain and and nerves or surgical diseases or gun-shot wounds (all sections in the book) I just don't know.
However, the plates are really cool to look at in person (icky, but cool).


 Neat, no?



No comments: