Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The post below

Ha....

The post below is what I currently have showing on my website's home page.  I put it up Friday-ish last week.  Partly I just wanted people to know that the stock was in the process of being "Refreshed" ... or in other words, I was drop-kicking the laggards to the curb.

I'm still in the process of weeding out the old stuff from the shelves -- and yes, at the rate I'm going, it's going to take at least a year.

I'm currently up to AN (as in Piers Anthony).  I've done four shelves so far. Four shelves out of ... let me get my calculator out.  30 (approximate) bookcases... each of them has six shelves (if I remember correctly, I'm not looking at one right at the moment and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and count) so, 30 x 6 = 180 shelves... each shelf holds between 25 to 35 books (depending on the thickness of the books, etc) so.... well, I know that it comes out to 8400 books that WERE on the shelves...still on the shelves until I chuck them.

I know I shouldn't be flip about these no-longer-wanted books.  They WILL find new homes. But in the meanwhile, as they sit on my shelves, taking space away from new stock, they have also come to represent other things:

1.) that I bought badly (which also means that I PAID for stuff that never sold...wahhhh)

2.) that the times have definitely changed since I listed these books (remember some of them have been on the shelves more than 15 years -- FIFTEEN YEARS!  15. 15!!!  FIFTEEN Flubbing years!)

3.) That my needs, and my customers needs have changed.

4.) That I really could use an assistant.... but paying one is out of the question at the moment as I'm mostly pretending to pay myself.

5.)That more books is not necessarily better.  At least for a one person operation, quantity does NOT equate with success. (For YEARS I've been using the 10,000 book quota as a guide to where I wanted to be. No more)

Overall, it's probably a good thing for me to do to "clean house" as it were.  It's hard to do though - both mentally and physically, but it needed to be done.  I hope that I can continue to plow through the task without getting sidetracked or discouraged, and that, in the end, it will be a good thing overall for my business.



I'd cross my fingers, but then I wouldn't be able to either lift the books, or do the data entry.

Wish me luck!

No comments: