Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to school...

The kids are back to school this week, my routine is starting to become a bit more routine again and I've got a lot of work to do to cull through the stacks -- I finally decided to make some changes. Make some cuts and get rid of dead wood as it were.  I've chopped about 3000 books out of my stock ... all books that have sat on my shelves taking up valuable space for anywhere from five to fifteen years.

Gone.

Except -- they aren't yet.  I cut the books out of my database with one quick snip, but....

the actual removal from the shelves job is going to take me a few weeks (more like months).  In the process, I'm updating photos of all the books that will stay with me, and adding new books at the same time.  It's a HUGE process to go through, and it's interesting to see what I've got on my shelf, how long it's been there and why it has or has not sold.

Hopefully, visitors to the website will find that it's not stale and old anymore either.

(well, at least somewhat less stale and old anymore).

Most of the books that have gone are the $5.00 paperback Children's picture books. Sorry to say, they were taking up space and just not being sold.  I know that it's getting harder to find older, interesting (or cherished) paperback books from the 1960's or so and many of them I will try to keep (generally if they have sold well in the past, I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot by not selling them now), but lots more will have to go.

I AM donating these picture books to a couple of nursery schools in the area so they will go to good homes.

In other news, there's one upcoming book fair in September.  It's the Sacramento Fall Antiquarian Book Fair - to be held on Saturday, September 18th, from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  If you'd like free passes, let me know.

Hopefully the changes made to the website will be appreciated.  If you have questions or comments, feel free to let me know.

No comments: