Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Back Home again... but not for long



I finally got a chance to get some pictures of my booth on Saturday morning. It's a bit hard to see clearly, what with the lights doing their googly best, but this crowded thing is my booth.

Overall, I think it came out well and was easy to find things -- but the five shelf shelves were too tall for most people and that meant the top two rows of books were not really looked at as much as I would like.




I did better overall than I had  thought I was doing -- I don't actually do a money count while I'm AT the fair for several reasons, chief of which is the disappointment factor.  I hate to actually KNOW if I'm not doing well.

This fair totals were down a bit from last year's fair totals -- and LAST year I thought it was a not great fair.  However, I did cover my expenses  plus possibly a bit more.

Now that I'm back home, I don't get to unpack much -- I leave again on Friday morning for Sacramento and the Antiquarian Book fair there.  This time it's a one day fair which has it's own ups and downs.  With a two day fair like Santa Monica (which is the fair pictured above) you have a bit more time to set up, though not so much time to take everything down.

With a one day fair, you have the day before (or in this case, part of the day before) to set up,  then Bam, you're there for the Saturday and THEN you get to pack everything away.  It's shorter, which is nice, but more work over less days so you're tireder when you get home.

And speaking of home...

the kitchen floor --  well, let's just say, it's NOT a pretty sight. But I can't really deal with it until after Sacramento on Saturday.

But the weekend after Sacramento is our Cub Scout Family Camp out and we'll be gone for most of Saturday and Sunday that weekend too.

Right now I'm frantically trying to find different but cool books to switch out so that the dealers who come to Sacramento might find something else of interest -- different from the books they saw in Santa Monica but didn't buy.


 I do have some things that are different.  Today, I was pulling some picture books to add to the pile, all the while thinking, I need to find $100.00 books to bring, not $15.00 books.  Sacramento is, however, a good place to sell lots of lower priced children's picture books for beginning book collectors.

Now, if I'm lucky, I'll have ten more minutes of book work before I have to go pick up the kids. Then it's grocery shopping (which didn't get done over the weekend), soccer practice, cleaning up and all the other little things that go with households.

See you in Sacramento!

No comments: