Friday, January 22, 2010

Campbell's Soup is Mmm... Mmm... Good!




I decided, that since I'm going to San Francisco, and, since I have a small pile of ephemeral items that have been wasting away in a drawer for AGES...
that I'd put the two together.

Remember, I don't have much in the way of ephemera, nor do I really know the gig, inside and out, however, the items I picked up are worth a wee bit of time and effort, and since I needed some UNUSUAL stuff to take with me to the book fair, this was fair game.

So today, taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, I started to add the ephemeral items to my database (for the most part, just the basic info so I could put it on hold for the fair).

One of the items is a very large souvenir program for the 100th Anniversary of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus.  It's got all sorts of circus stuff included, a history of this / these circuses, etc. -- BUT -- it also has some congratulatory advertisements (see above) that are quite interesting.

Most interesting (to me at least) is this Campbell's Soup congratulations / advert.





Here's another view (sorry - again, camera person is NOT a photographer).

I've been trying for about an hour now to come up with the name of the illustrator for this piece of Pop Art advertising.

There's a tiny signature in the picture here:




 

As near as I can figure out, the signature LOOKS like John Alcorn (who is most famous for his children's picture book illustrations.... and he worked a great deal for Harlin Quist about whom I've blogged here before).

I'm not at all certain it is John Alcorn, but the shape of the letters, and the style of illustration (and especially the choice of colors) LOOKS like it could be a match.

I know it's NOT Andy Warhol.

If you happen to have a guess -- or even KNOW.  email me.

Either way, it's a neat picture and makes the 100th Anniversary program even more interesting.

No comments: